[obol] Coos shorebirds

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 13:35:17 -0700

Today was an excellent shorebird day at New River, Coos Cty. The highlights of the day were at least 31 RED KNOTS and over 700 DOWITCHERS the majority being LONG-BILLED, which is rather unusual for us. Probably 90% were LBs. We saw at least 5 RUDDY TURNSTONES and 1 MARBLED GODWIT, and at least 300 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS. DUNLIN were numerous, as were WESTERN SANDPIPERS, lots of SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS and SNOWY PLOVERS, and SANDERLING. We also had at least 250 WHIMBRELS. At least one GREATER YELLOWLEGS. All in all we probably saw 10000 birds this morning, many moving north but up to 4000 or so lingering on the beach north and south of the mouth of New River. Awesome numbers and variety and sounds.

Forgot to mention on 5/3 we had a LONG-BILLED CURLEW at New River.

Cheers

Dave Lauten and Kathy Castelein

POST: Send your post to obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
JOIN OR QUIT: //www.freelists.org/list/obol