[obol] Coos parula 6/21/2014

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 12:04:46 -0700

This morning aound 0730 I heard a singing NORTHERN PARULA out on the north
spit of Coos Bay across from the south entrance to the old Weyco pond site
(right near where the catbird was singing last July).  There is a little
slough there and the 1st year male was singing in the same spruce tree I
found one in on 2 June 2008- lightning can strike twice in the same spot!
 Unfortunately the bird was on the move and as soon as I would catch up
with it, it would fly north off to the next clump of sitka spruce.  I
chased it north along the slough about a 1/2 mile before losing it for good
with only a few glimpses of the bird. I did not think this bird was
chaseable so I did not make any phone calls...

There have been four previous Coos records, three of which were from the
June and July period.

Also in the area was a singing WILLOW FLYCATCHER, a first for me this time
of year out on the spit, I have never had breeding birds in the county (or
potential breeders) this close to the coast.

Merry summertime!
Tim R
Coos Bay