[obol] Coos- no Tropical-K but yellowthroat 11/28/2015

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 18:01:08 -0800

As Joshua Little reported yesterday, no Tropical Kingbird at the BLM office
in Coos Bay. I checked early then during the mid-day "heat' (mid-50's- a
NICE day). I did however find a COMMON YELLOWTHROAT across the street from
the BLM office on airport property north end. It was flitting around in
some scotch broom.

Later in the PM I was out on the N. Spit and checked the old Weyco pond
site. It was stuffed with ducks and coots. I counted close to 500 coots
with over 1,000 other "real" ducks. The CANVASBACK numbers were
impressive- I counted several times with my peak count at 178- call it
180. I bet the other 1/3 of the waterfowl were Bufflehead and Ruddy Ducks
(I didn't count). Also scattered Ring-necked Ducks, Scaup (all Greaters I
saw well), and N. Shovelers. Also a few W. Grebes and Mew, CA, and W.
Gulls. No wigeon, teal, or pintail. Only one male REDHEAD. I did see one
Eared Grebe also but it was on the "lake" next to the pond as were several
hunters.

Gorgeous weather on the coast today!
Merry Holidays,
Tim R