[obol] Coos 'N Curry 5/10-5/11/2014 E. Phoebe et al.

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 18:17:20 -0700

Today I teamed up with Lois Miller to do the Curry NAMC in the north end of
the county.  We covered Langlois Mtn., Floras Lake, and Floras Creek.  Our
best bird was up Floras Creek.  We covered the usual lowland areas in
Floras Creek then decided to drive up further into the forested lands
further up. We came upon an old, abandoned homestead on a steep hillside
7.0 miles from the Hwy.  It was all overgrown with blackberry and I thought
it might be a good spot to try for chat (no luck).  When I got out of the
truck I thought I heard an EASTERN PHOEBE singing, and well, we found an E.
Phoebe.  After chasing it around for a while Lois got photos.  It was a
real shocker out in the mdddle of nowhere.  I can't imagine it will stay in
that location long, right place at the right time!

On Saturday Joe Metzler, Barb Taylor and I did a "mini" big day in Coos
County.  The weather was kind of crappy in the AM with showers off and on
so we couldn't get up to Mt. Bolivar.  Instead we started in Powers about
6AM and ended up in Coos Bay about 7 PM.  We had around 130 species, a
pretty respectable total given the weather and our "late" start.  Best
birds included a VESPER SPARROW that we got killer looks at in the big
grassy fields south of Powers, an ALLEN'S looking male Sealsphorus at a
feeder next to the Powers Ranger Station (I have seen many a Selasphorus do
Allen's type displays over the years here and this male had an all green
back), and a LONG-BILLED CURLEW at Bandon Marsh.

We had scads of AMERICAN GOLDFINCHES both days.  In the fields along the
South Fork of the Coquille we saw one flock of several hundred AMGO rise up
out of the grass in waves and descend back into the grass, it was way cool.
 Lois said she had a couple hundred at her feeders in Port Orford on
Friday, I saw scads of them there today.

A fun two days!
Merry migration,
Tim R
Coos Bay