[obol] Coos Mtn. Chickadees, Swamp Sparrows, etc. 11/1/2015

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 14:48:52 -0800

Around sunrise, BLM office, N. Bend:
1- calling MOUNTAIN CHICKADEE

Empire area, Coos Bay a bit later in the AM:
5- ELEGANT TERNS (they will probably totally be gone in the next week or
less)
I also saw a Bonaparte's Gull and 6 Eared Grebes. Yesterday afternoon,
during the high winds, I saw a flock of 14 Bonies in the bay.

Millicoma Marsh, Coos Bay:
Put my first bird seed of the fall down around noon. We have a Cape Arago
Audubon field trip in a couple weeks and this usually helps concentrate the
load of sparrows there. On the dead end trail to the kiosk past the sewage
plant there were 5 SWAMP SPARROWS. At one point I pished and three flew up
into the same small bush- very cool! Along the trail on the way out there
was a large flock of foraging sparrows/finches. I counted 6 WHITE-THROATED
feeding on the trail at the same time. This is, of course, why I put seed
down at this location- it is already chocked full of birds. I also saw one
leucistic FOX SPARROW- almost completely white and singing like crazy.

Eastside boat ramp area, Coos Bay:
Put some seed down here also. On the way out of the parking area saw a
large chickadee/sparrow flock moving. I stopped and immediately heard
another MTN. CHICKADEE. I was able to pick out three but there may have
been more. They were mixed with Chestnut-backed and Black-cappeds. More
White-throated Sparrows....

The Coos Bay CBC is 7 weeks from today (Sunday the 20th of December). Drop
me an e-mail if interested. I normally put together teams and send out lots
of great count info the first week of December. We have a fun countdown
dinner at Eric Cloughs in Coos Bay and we (Cape Arago Audubon) provide food
although you are welcome bring something if you want.

Merry November all!
Tim Rodenkirk
Coos Bay