[obol] Coos Birds 11/14/2015

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 13:10:11 -0800

We had a Cape Arago Audubon trip this morning. It was balmy- 60's and no
rain, yet. We birded Cape Arago, then Charleston, then Fossil Point in
Empire. Nothing unusual but good numbers of some birds.

Cape Arago- huge waves and big swells offshore, wind maybe 10 to 15 from
the south- very balmy conditions with temps up into the low 60s:

Not much moving when we first arrived. Quite a few Brown Pelicans
offshore, some going north and some going south. The Pacific Loon migration
picked up after a while and I did a 5 minute count and and estimated about
6,000/hr. They came by in spurts where a hundred birds would past by in 10
or 20 seconds then nothing for a minute, then another huge pulse. The
north cove was loaded with HARLEQUIN DUCKS. We had about 20 right below us
and there were 30 more a bit north plus some off the reef way out.
Fantastic looks. There were 19 BLACK OYSTERCATCHERS in the north cove and
31 more at the Sea Lion Overlook. Also off the Sea Lion Overlook were big
numbers of EARED GREBES. One flock had about 25 and there were several
other flocks of 3 to 10. I could not find a Horned with them. I figure
there were probably at least 50 of them also- a high number but I have seen
them at this location before which they seem to like for some reason. Quite
a few BLACK TURNSTONES on the beach at the north cove and more in
Charleston and at Fossil Point but no Surfbirds. I did not spend much time
scanning offshore but did see at least one Sooty/Short-tailed Shearwater,
but there were not many, at least that were half-way visible from the
Cape.Things were quiet back in the bay and duck numbers are still a bit
low, I expect tonight/tomorrows storm should fill up the bay. The Elegant
Terns appeared to have cleared out for the season.

Yesterday I saw 4 WILLETS at there usual wintering spot on the Coos Bay
waterfront. Been seeding and birding the Millicoma Marsh/Eastside areas
the past couple weeks and have seen a couple Orange-crowned Warblers this
week which regularly overwinter in this area but aren't always easy to find.

Storm a coming- batten the hatches!
Happy birding,
Tim R
Coos Bay