[obol] Coos Birdies 6/1/2014

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 17:06:35 -0700

Out on the north spit of Coos Bay at the old Weyco pond site late PM I had
marvelous looks at a low flying BANK SWALLOW. Those pesky NW winds have
kicked in and will be blasting most of this coming week it sounds like
between bouts of fog/drizzle overnight/early AM. Good for checking out
swallows at this site though.

Also out there still are 2 male AMERICAN WIGEON and this morning a fly-over
flock of 13 NORTHERN PINTAIL headed toward the upper bay.  Neither species
has ever been recorded breeding in the county and all birds normally
disappear by mid-June but pintail have bred in coastal Lane as I recall.

Oh, the BALTIMORE ORIOLE that I reported on last weekend in Coos Bay was
only around on Friday and Saturday, good a bunch of us went to see it on
Saturday!

This is THE time in spring (for the next 10 days or so) to find unusual
vagrants on the south coast (and elsewhere in Oregon), keep your eyes and
ears peeled : )

Merry June!
Tim R
Coos Bay