[obol] Common Nighthawk and Willow Flycatcher Clatsop County arrival etc.

  • From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 11:25:29 -0700

June 2014

I noticed that Harry Nehls had COMMON NIGHTHAWK on the weekly Rare Bird
Alert of the Audubon Society of Portland; an individual near Sisters on 02
June. My first-of-season COMMON NIGHTHAWK was a bird in flight calling over
the Stop and Go gas station in Seaside at 2 in the morning; also this past
Monday 02 June. I heard a probable but distant calling bird from our
current residence in Manzanita at dusk the evening prior on Sunday 01 June.

The end of May into early June is the expected arrival time period for the
main movements of Common Nighthawks into Oregon. Movements of Black Swifts,
Red-eyed Vireos, and Willow Flycatchers occur through the state in an
overlapping window of time. My first-of-the-season WILLOW FLYCATCHER
observation was near the summit of Cougar Mountain in Southwestern Clatsop
County on Tuesday, 03 June. A male MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER was singing on
territory in the same general area of the Clatsop State Forest lands as the
flycatcher. I had detected a singing male there in early May that I
suspected was a migrant, but he seems to have stayed for the summer.
MacGillivray's Warbler is infrequently detected in the western portion of
Clatsop County as a potentially breeding species; though it is a regular,
but generally stealth migrant. This is as far west as I have encountered a
MacGillivray's on territory in the county. Cougar Mountain is approximately
SSE of Saddle Mountain and a mile west of the mainstem Nehalem River.

David

David C. Bailey
Manzanita, Oregon for the next couple months...