[obol] Chats and Yellowthroats last weekend in Morrow County

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 04:53:08 -0700

Hi all,

Just to clarify, the eBird maps are currently showing 4 separate
detections of each of these species in Morrow County last weekend (so
not just a single Yellowthroat).

Two reports of each both came from the Umatilla NWR, so there appears to
be some correlation of these reports in terms of of location.

There seem to have been about 8 parties in the field for two days of the
weekend, so 16 party-days. In other words, one detection of each of
these species per 4 party-days.

A reasonable inference from these data would be that if Paul or anyone
else wants to go back to Morrow County and try to add Yellow-breasted
Chat and Common Yellowthroat to his county list, apparently on average
two weekends of birding should be enough -- even without details on
these locations.

Given the coordinates of these reports, the amount of effort needed to
locate these two species should be considerably less, especially this
time of year when both are fairly vocal. One morning at Umatilla NWR
should do the trick.

I haven't spent any considerable amount of time birding in Morrow
County, but I did spend basically the full month of June in Wheeler
County in 1999, working on the Breeding Bird Atlas while spending 12 to
16 hours per day out of doors and paying attention to birds for nearly
all of that time.

I wrote down "Common Yellowthroat" on a list at some point but I can't
remember where. I think that was a mistake, probably a poorly-heard bird
that I recorded at a time when I was insufficiently aware of the local
status of the species. I didn't find any Chats that month (though I have
found a very small handful on subsequent visits for NAMC, along the John
Day River).

I agree with Paul that, at least in the late 1990s, these two species
seemed to be very scarce in that general region of Oregon, at least away
from the riparian zones along major rivers.

Good birding,
Joel

--
Joel Geier