[obol] Re: [COBOL] A little more on the Red-throated Pipit

  • From: Chuck Gates <cgates326@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Craig Miller <gismiller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 15:18:14 -0700

Did anyone try for the pipit today? I'm heading out now.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 19, 2015, at 9:33 PM, Craig Miller <gismiller@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

Judy covered the details and directions about the bird, but I thought I'd add
a tip or two on finding the bird.

Also, one small clarification; the dam runs from northwest to southeast. The
parking lot with the Kiosk is about 3/4 mile northwest of the tower standing
at the dam outlet.

At all times, the bird was southeast of the parking spot, (towards the tower
on the dam, which is visible in the distance). It blends into the landscape,
and is therefore more likely to be noticed when flushed than when on the
ground. I didn't see the bird until it flushed and gave a single-syllable
alarm call; lower and harsher than its flight call, and very different than
the thin, high-pitched two-syllable American Pipit call. It only flew about
40 feet, then landed. It had similar shape, coloration, and dipping motion of
American Pipit. Close inspection revealed a dark and white-streaked back, and
strongly streaked breast and flanks. It also had yellowish tones on its head
and underparts. It appears to be a first-year bird and lacks any reddish
tones present on adult/breeding birds. I would recommend studying these
details on Tom Lawler's awesome photograph that he sent out earlier.

The weather in Bend is supposed to be good for several days, so it seems
likely the bird will remain for another few days at least.

Good luck to anyone who comes for the chase. Please keep obol and cobol
updated if you do have a chance to look for the bird.

Cheers,

Craig Miller
Bend, Oregon