[obol] A little more on the Red-throated Pipit

  • From: Craig Miller <gismiller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cobol <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 21:33:30 -0700

Hi all,

Judy covered the details and directions about the bird, but I thought I'd
add a tip or two on finding the bird.

Also, one small clarification; the dam runs from northwest to southeast.
The parking lot with the Kiosk is about 3/4 mile northwest of the tower
standing at the dam outlet.

At all times, the bird was southeast of the parking spot, (towards the
tower on the dam, which is visible in the distance). It blends into the
landscape, and is therefore more likely to be noticed when flushed than
when on the ground. I didn't see the bird until it flushed and gave a
single-syllable alarm call; lower and harsher than its flight call, and
very different than the thin, high-pitched two-syllable American Pipit
call. It only flew about 40 feet, then landed. It had similar shape,
coloration, and dipping motion of American Pipit. Close inspection revealed
a dark and white-streaked back, and strongly streaked breast and flanks. It
also had yellowish tones on its head and underparts. It appears to be a
first-year bird and lacks any reddish tones present on adult/breeding
birds. I would recommend studying these details on Tom Lawler's awesome
photograph that he sent out earlier.

The weather in Bend is supposed to be good for several days, so it seems
likely the bird will remain for another few days at least.

Good luck to anyone who comes for the chase. Please keep obol and cobol
updated if you do have a chance to look for the bird.

Cheers,

Craig Miller
Bend, Oregon