[obol] Re: Boreal Chickadee question

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 15:01:38 -0700

Just some lingering thoughts on the topic..., scattered crumbs... for
anyone interested....

Darrel and Dave recounted some of the species that have either expanded
into Oregon (mostly from south) or have become more well-known, in large
part due to an increase in observer ability. Another species that came up
"from the south" is Anna's Hummingbird, first reported in Oregon in 1940s.
Before those, Brown-headed Cowbirds first arrived in Oregon probably in the
early 1900s, first noted breeding in W OR in the 1940s. House Finches had
not expanded to the northern Willamette Valley until the 1940s/50s. The
list would probably go on and on with changes over time if there were
"birders" back then recording their observations.

I too don't know of boreal birds that have expanded their standard range
into Oregon. Although a northerly bird, Townsend's Warbler, is reported to
be expanding its Oregon Cascades range southward, taking over/hybridizing
with Hermit Warbler. Barred Owl came from the north, but from the east
before that, and is certainly not strictly a "boreal" bird.

Some northern bird "experiences" we have had in Oregon include Greater
Yellowlegs nesting in NE OR in the 80s (Downey Lake, Wallowa Co.). Solitary
Sandpiper giving alarm calls from true firs in Gold Lake Bog and Olallie
Meadows in the 80s. Swamp Sparrow singing in the wet meadow near Salt Creek
Falls in May 1992. I recall wondering if we might one day find a
spring/singing Rusty Blackbird at Gold Lake or Salt Creek, but ... who
looks?

Darrel and Alan mentioned/questioned re Boreal Chickadees nesting in
Oregon. It is easy to think "we would have found them by now," but one
thing I've learned over time is, ... we don't know as much as we think we
do. Boreal habitat in Oregon is little covered by birders. Yeah, probably a
pretty small chance, but ... one never knows until one tries. We got
surprised by Yellow Rail a few decades ago; a story not unlike that of
Boreal Owl in Oregon.

Keep checking out those chickadees! :-)

Happy Exploring,

Matt Hunter