[obol] Black Oystercatchers

  • From: Linda Fink <linda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOLINKS <OBOL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 17:36:08 -0700

Anyone on facebook who is interested in Black Oystercatchers is invited... and encouraged... to join the Black Oystercatcher page that Dawn V. and I started last year in hopes that volunteer monitors would share information. There is much to learn about these shorebirds and we could all help each other by sharing our observations.

And... Is there a grad student out there who might be interested in mining Elise Eliot-Smith's almost 11 years of data to see if there is any correlation between fledging success rates and mussel toxicity levels? Since chicks are presumably more vulnerable to toxins than adults, I would love to know if the areas where mussels have been found to be toxic are areas where BLOY chicks have had poor survival rates. Various areas on the coast are tested every two weeks for toxins so those records should be available. Elise has records of where chicks have and have not fledged successfully for the last ten years, 11 after the season ends this year.

My understanding is that little has been done to study seabird mortality rates from toxins in fish and shellfish. Black Oystercatcher chick survival records might be a great way to begin...

Linda Fink
--
http://lindafink.blogspot.com/
http://lindafink-birdnotes.blogspot.com/