[obol] Birding in the rain in Newport

  • From: whoffman@xxxxxxxx
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 19:47:02 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

I spent the day dodging rain showers, birding around Newport A good day for
raptors, with 7 species, including Northern Harrier, Sharp-shinned Hawk,
Cooper's Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk, Peregrine, and the two below. Also 5 species of
geese - Canada, Cackling, Greater White-fronted, Snow, and Brant.

Highlights:

Black Merlin 1 residential area of NW Newport

Rough-legged Hawk 1 by the LNG tank, found by Chuck Philo. Bird is a juv. pale
phase. In my experience this species is found a bit less than annually in
Lincoln Co., but this is the second one I have seen this fall. The first was a
juv. dark phase bird at Yaquina head Oct. 18.

Snow Goose 1 juv. was back at the seasonal pond at McNary lane between Newport
and Toledo. It also hangs out along Fruitvale Road.

Eurasian Wigeon 1 drake at LNG Tank - light was not good, so I did not check
out the whole flock.

Wayne