[obol] Bird Books for sale (short)

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 20:38:08 -0700

I have not posted a book sale list for a while.  All of these prices include
shipping.  All books are in Very Good condition unless noted. If you buy
several I usually give a discount, as my shipping costs are lower.  Feel
free to make an offer if you don't like the price.

AOU Checklist of NA Birds.  1931.  4th Ed.  $30

AOU Checklist of NA Birds.  1998.  7th Ed. $20

Brown, R.  1956 revised paperback.  Composition of Scientific Words.  If you
have any interest in taxonomy and what all those words mean, this monster
880-page paperback is an essential reference used by the Smithsonian staff.
$25

Clements, James.  2000.  Birds of the World Checklist.  860 page hardbound
with dj.  $25

Farner, J.  1952.  Birds of Crater Lake National Park.  185-page paperback,
still an exceptionally useful regional reference.  $12

Gabrielson and Lincoln.  1959.  Birds of Alaska.  The definitive baseline
reference for the state.  A solid hardcover copy.  $50

Johnston, D.  1961.  The Biosystematics of American Crows.  120-page
hardbound.  Everything you ever wanted to know about corvosity, and a
baseline study for Northwestern Crow as a species.  $18

Palmer, R.  1962-1976.  Handbook of North American Birds, vols 1-2-3
covering seabirds and waterfowl.  Includes color plates illustrating such
detailed features as variations in waterfowl, faces of herons and egrets
etc. $50 for the set of three.

Portenko, L. A. 1989.  Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island.
Two volumes in hardcover, VG condition with dj except that front hinge on
vol. 1 is very loose and needs repair.  $149 for the set.

Schmidt, Owen ed.  1989.  Rare Birds of Oregon.  Summary of all actions of
the OBRC to date, including graphs and photos.  Very rare.  185-page
paperback.  $35

Shelton, A.  1917.  A distributional list of the land birds of west-central
Oregon. The original 50-page paperbound annotated list, covering Lane County
and some adjacent areas.  This is a very rare publication in the original.
Cover has a number on it, otherwise a VG+ copy with intact cover. $40

Watling, D.  1982.  Birds of Fiji, Tonga and Samoa.  Illustrated by Chloe
Talbot-Kelly.  A large format status book for the region.  It looks like a
coffee table book but is actually a pretty good status book with a lot of
excellent illustrations and maps.  $39

White & Murray.  1986.  The Birds of Wallacea (Sulawesi, The Moluccas and
Lesser Sunda Islands, Indonesia.  A reference book, not a field guide.  Not
illustrated. 520 pages paperbound. $55

Wood, R.  1944.  The Naturalist's Lexicon.  An amazing compendium of
background on almost any scientific name you care to check.  Includes the
rare 1947 supplement.  Very good with a few notes; cover a little worn.  $45
with supplement.

Special items:

I am interested in finding a home for a complete run of American Birds (less
the CBC issues).  In theory it is worth over $1,000 but it is something of a
specialty item and most of the material is available online (though the
scans are not always very good).  If you have an interest in this set, let
me know and maybe we can work something out.  I'm more interested in passing
it on than I am in getting stacks of swag for it.

I am considering selling my three volumes of and about the taxonomic work of
Allan Phillips.  These are Known Birds of North and Middle America Vols 1
and 2, plus the Festschrift, which includes material on taxonomy of
creepers, thrushes etc.  The Festschrift is autographed by Robert Dickerman,
one of the writers.  I would ask $325.00 for the set of three, but would
consider offers.

--
Alan Contreras

acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx