[obol] Re: Bird Behavior Recommendations

  • From: "Tom Wnuk" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> ("twnuk")
  • To: Richard Hoyer <birdernaturalist@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 16:27:38 -0800

Rich, thanks for the reply. Yes, I’d love a book like that but as you said, probably doesn’t exist and I’m not going to use some new Artificial Intelligence (AI) tech.  I won’t go off on that subject even though I spent my career in Tech.
I was thinking the same thing, why not just ask it here. What I’ll do is post my questions for a community response after I have a chance to read a bit more and thanks for another book recommendation.

thanks-tom

On Mar 8, 2023, at 2:13 PM, Richard Hoyer <birdernaturalist@xxxxxx> wrote:

Tom and All,

Are you looking for a reference book that would have all answers you could just look up when you have a question about bird behavior, or a good read? I don't know of any general bird behavior reference that would also answer your example question. If that one is a burning question though, a lot of birders here would be able to chime in with their thoughts, but I'd also recommend Rare Birds of North America by by Steve N.G. Howell, Ian Lewington, and Will Russell.
Good Birding,
Rich
---
Rich Hoyer
Eugene, Oregonbirdernaturalist@xxxxxx
Senior Leader for WINGS
http://wingsbirds.com

Ambassador for American Bird Conservancyhttp://abcbirds.org

my blog: http://birdernaturalist.blogspot.com
---
On Mar 7, 2023, at 6:36 PM, Tom Wnuk ("twnuk") <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Anyone have recommendations for an in-depth look at Bird Behavior across the Bird Families?

I had taken the Cornell Ornithology home study course in the late 90’s but between multiple moves seem to have lost that material and now it’s online and has been updated; so, I’d have to purchase again. It also doesn’t go deep into behavior.

I’m looking for a more in-depth look not the basic info.  Birds of the World has a good overview but still doesn’t go deep enough.

An example of an edge case would be why do some rarities stick around all winter while some just pass through in a 24-hour period.  I understand the basics of why but am wondering if there’s something more or is it simply food and breeding. Maybe that’s what I’m looking for, the nuances / edge cases.

There are many resources on Amazon for instance but they all seem to be general info.

thanks
Contact moderator: obol-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx