[obol] Re: Benton County birding - addenda

  • From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx, Midvalley Birding <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 22:22:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

Besides the things that Alan already mentioned, the following highlights come
to mind:

2 WESTERN KINGBIRDS at the Prairie Overlook.

Several PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHERS, a WARBLING VIREO, a MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER,
a few BLACK-THROATED GRAY, numerous WILSON'S and ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS, a
BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK and a couple of WESTERN TANAGERS along Muddy Creek and
the Homer Campbell Boardwalk.

A LAZULI BUNTING, several HOUSE WRENS and a couple of CHIPPING SPARROWS at the
Bentley Savannah.

CASSIN'S VIREO along the western part of Bruce Road (on the fir-covered hill).
Several YELLOW WARBLERS and the resident pair of BLACK PHOEBES at the Muddy
Creek Bridge on Bruce Rd.

At least a dozen YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS (6 pairs) at the Bruce Rd. scrape
pond, and 2 males at the Evergreen Mitigation Wetland (Bellfountain Rd.); we
didn't see any stilts there.

The RED-SHOULDERED HAWK was near the nest in Sunset Park, where we also found a
SPOTTED SANDPIPER, 30 LEAST SANDPIPERS and one KILLDEER, but no Solitary
Sandpipers today.

A fun day to be out!

Good Birding

Hendrik

Hendrik G. Herlyn
Corvallis, OR

"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."
     -- Gary Snyder