[obol] Re: Audubon’s name

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 11:45:18 -0700

Sorry, I meant this as a straightforward news item. Must have been the devil whispering in my ear (again).

Alan Contreras
acontrer56@xxxxxxxxxwww.alanlcontreras.com
Now available from OSU Press: A History of Oregon Ornithology

On Mar 15, 2023, at 11:24 AM, Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Teresa, what's going on?
If the moderator does not consider this a hotly debated political topic - please clarify for me what does.
Jack WilliamsonWest Linn, OR

On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 11:14 AM Ben Martin Horst <ben.martinhorst@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've had the privilege of some really positive interactions with other birders in the field, for which I am grateful. I've also experienced birders glancing at my low-end optics (all I can afford) and decide I'm not worth talking to. There are significant barriers to entry into birding, like cost and equipment snobbery. Flinging about right-wing slurs like "wokeness" and gloating about a decision that has certainly turned off many birders and potential birders, is yet another barrier into birding in Oregon.
How about we work to actually open the hobby to folks of diverse backgrounds. Does a name change do that? Maybe or maybe not. But all the "huzzahs" about the decision from folks of a particular demographic certainly works against opening it up.
On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 11:01 AM Kathleen Mc Gill <yukonkat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Considering other naming options is not "woke". It is understanding and being empathic to the current environment we live in and the need to include all interested parties in a particular hobby in this case. Staying or going with the use of a name should be given thoughtful consideration.
On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 10:43 AM Robert O'Brien <baro@xxxxxxx> wrote:
George Washington's estate when he died had hundreds of enslaved people, Washington himself owned over 100. Not many people are pro-slavery these days, but some thought should be given to the larger picture. It seems like National Audubon Society has done that. Bob O'Brien Carver Oregon

On Wednesday, March 15, 2023, Nancy and Mike Thomas <shipwreck5000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Glad to hear this.  I agree that Audubon is known for birds/Aves and environmental conservation.
On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 8:16 AM William Herrick <wjherrick20@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Agreed!

National Audubon Society has decided after discussion to keep its name. This is a sensible decision, as “Audubon” has come to mean a high standard of care for the natural world, not a way of honoring a person.

--
William Herrick
wjherrick20@xxxxxxxxx