[obol] Ankeny Purple Martin

  • From: Roy Gerig <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 14:38:07 -0700

This morning I saw a single male PURPLE MARTIN over Pintail Marsh at Ankeny
NWR.  This has been about an annual event for me, to see 1-2 PUMAs in that part
of Marion County.  I saw 2 pairs of BLUE-WINGED TEAL on the walk around
Pintail, and later 2 AMERICAN BITTERNS doing a goofy looking dance at the north
edge of Eagle Marsh, then doing a slow motion chase, flying about as slow as
they possibly could - reminded me of the OJ Simpson slow chase on LA freeways
in his white Bronco way back when.

Regarding natural cavity nesting PUMAs:  I hope it was somewhat clear in my
post of yesterday that, while I (mis)titled it "PUMAs in Western OR", it was
really about the northern part of their range as it was understood then.
Probably still is.  There were many more PUMAs in the coast range and Cascades
south of my area (and in NW Cali) than in the area I worked in (Linn, Marion,
Polk, Benton, Yamhill, Clackamas, Tillamook), so that while I mentioned a few
dozen pairs, about 1000 total pairs were found in Western Oregon, the biggest
numbers were south of there while NW Cali had about that many (broad numbers)
as well...

Roy Gerig, Salem OR