[obol] Re: A little out of area: Impressions from a week in rural France and how it might relate to Willamette Valley vineyards

  • From: <towhee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: joel.geier@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 13:55:28 -0700

Joel,

A great report!  From the passing remark about North Dakota, to the
hydrogeology of karst terrain, and especially the observations of the birdless
vineyards.  My Mother's family settled in the Neckar valley of southwestern
Germany, and in my several visits to this wine-producing region I had the same
observation--a birding desert.  The experiences brought back memories of Rachel
Carson's classic, Silent Spring.

Good birding,

Mark

Mark A Gonzalez