[obol] 8/02/13 - Union County, Thief Valley, OR : SCISSOR-TAILED FLYCATCHER

  • From: AVITOURS@xxxxxxx
  • To: birding-neoregon-group@xxxxxxx, obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, inland-nw-birders@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 16:08:57 -0400 (EDT)

Birders -
This morning (8/02, 7:50 a.m.), while driving down to Thief Valley
Reservoir, 1 mile from the Telocaset Road/ Thief Valley Road junction, I found
immature male/ adult female (shorter tail & less pink) SCISSOR-TAILED
FLYCATCHER (45.01'52" N & 117.46'49"W, according to my gps).This is the  first
documented sighting that I am aware of from Union County, and according to  the
OBRC, the 19th Oregon State record.  I was lucky enough to snap  off a few
digiscoped photos with my phone camera, which can be viewed  here:
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m527/avitours/scissor-perch_zps68f136de.
jpg
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m527/avitours/scissor-perchII_zps332255c
9.jpg
The SCISSOR-TAILED appeared on the east side of the road, along the fence
line, and with the sun in my eyes, I initially thought it was a Western
Kingbird.  It briefly perched on the fence wire, and I got it in  binoculars,
just as a EASTERN KINGBIRD began to mob it.  Both birds flew  across Thief
Valley Road towards the west and into the Sage. I grabbed my  big camera and
it was out of juice, so I quickly plugged it into the  recharger, and grabbed
my phone and my scope.  As the SCISSOR-TAILED flew  out of view, over a
small rise, and I could feel the anxiety building, thinking  that I was going
to miss a photo opportunity.  I usually try to spend  half of my time birding
at Thief, looking down for Rattlesnakes.  But,  I ran in the direction of
the bird's flight path and got snagged up in some  loose barbed wire instead
(luckily), falling down on the gravel road,  and throwing my Kowa in the
dirt.  I jumped back up and rapidly took 6  photos.  The bird disappeared
heading up the small drainage there, and I  was unable to relocate it.  On my
short walk back to the truck, my  adrenaline waned, and I became aware of my
injuries (numerous).  I cleaned  myself up, checked out my scope (which
avoided injury), and drove a bit over a  mile up the road, until I got cellular
service.  I called all of the local  birders I could think of and headed back
down to try it again.  I could not  relocate the SCISSOR-TAILED, despite
looking for an additional hour.  As  cohort Bob Behrstock once told me, "It's
better to lucky than good."
Cathy Nowak and Renee Coxen of Union and La Grande, were headed out to look
 for the bird this morning and Luke Burton of Baker City was heading  out
this afternoon.  So, hopefully all of them will relocate it.
Good birding,

- Trent Bray

The  Bobolink - Linking Birders & Birds

1707 5th Street