[obol] 6/12/14 - Union County, OR : BROWN THRASHER

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "AVITOURS@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 20:41:35 -0400 (EDT)

Birders -
Today (6/12, 3:17 PM), at work, I  received a call from La Grande birder,
Jo Cowling.  Jo explained that she  and her husband Dave Osmick had recently
(since Tuesday), seen a bright reddish  brown bird with a long tail (larger
than a Robin), sneaking around there place,  acting very shy.  This morning,
around 11 AM, Jo heard a jumbled song that  she was not familiar with, so
she got on the internet and listened to various  bird calls, and found that
the mystery bird sounded like a Brown Thrasher, but  all of the books show
that they are not supposed to be here.   She  reluctantly called me, and after
listening to her for a minute, I asked if I  could drive out and take a
look.
I put a note on the door at work,  jumped in the truck, and arrived at
there place south east of La Grande at about  3:40 PM.  We slowly walked around
her wonderfully plant diverse yard and  talked about birds and Thrashers,
and the like.  At approximately 4:15 PM,  I heard and then saw the bird in
their Pea Hedge and sure enough it was a BROWN  THRSHER.  I know of no other
Union County records of this species.  A  photo can be viewed from my eBird
submission  here:
I explained to  Jo how rare bird sightings work, the OBRC, private
property, birders, etc.   Jo's husband recently got out of the hospital, and
she
would like to share the  bird with others, but she requests that people e-mail
her and schedule a time to  try to view the bird instead of just dropping
by.  Jo's email address  is:
ejtmq@xxxxxxxxx

Good birding,
- Trent