[oagitm] Re: Retention of Social Media Data

  • From: Mark Decker <DeckerML@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Jean.Ripa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <Jean.Ripa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 19:55:41 +0000

Jean,

We consider social media data generally not to be a public record that requires
retention if it is not used to "conduct County business".  Twitter posts are
ephemeral, more like a verbal conversation than an email.  The exception would
be if social media is used as a vehicle for deliberation leading to an official
action or decision, and no other record exists of the conversation.  It is
against our policy to use Facebook, Twitter, or other outside communication
tools like Gmail or Yahoo Messenger, to conduct official County business.

Our public websites and Facebook pages are generally treated like a physical
bulletin board.  So long as the website data is just a publicly displayed copy
of information that exists in other forms that are retained, we don't need to
retain the web copy.  Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mark L. Decker
CIO / Technology Director