[nyschp.dop] Re: Narcotic reporting

  • From: "Michael Blumenfeld" <Michael.Blumenfeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "nyschp.dop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <nyschp.dop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 08:12:32 -0500

We don't do any of this at Bellevue but in years past at another
location the practioner that dispensed a controlled substance provided a
copy of the Rx to the Pharmacy who entered the Rx and manually and
transmitted it within 24 hours.  The providers were listed among the
Pharmacy verifiers.  Not ideal because the dispenser isn't there to
confirm the info was entered properly by the Pharmacy the next day, but
it was all we could do.  We limited the amount dispensed and I-Stop
would not be an issue because of limited number of days dispensed.  Not
the ideal methodology, but we needed a way to ensure patients were
adequately serviced.

Michael Blumenfeld
Director of Pharmacy Services
Bellevue Hospital Center
P: 1-212-562-6504
C: 1-347-372-3877
F: 1-212-562-2936

Bellevue's Pharmacy charts the course to optimal pharmaceutical care
for the safety & welfare of our patients.

>>> "Jadoch, Christopher" <jodochc@xxxxxxx> 3/5/2015 6:31 PM >>>
Sandra:

According to Public Health Law §3343-a, it deceivingly appears that
only pharmacies are required to report such transactions to the PMP (in
pertinent part - emphasis added):

Public Health

    §  3343-a.  Prescription monitoring program registry. 1.
Establishment
  of system. (a) The commissioner shall, in accordance with the
provisions
  of this  section,  establish  and  maintain  an  electronic  system
for
  collecting,   monitoring   and   reporting  information  concerning
the
  prescribing and dispensing of controlled substances, to be known as
the
  prescription  monitoring  program  registry.  The registry shall
include
  information reported by pharmacies on a real time basis, as set forth
in
  subdivision four of section thirty-three hundred  thirty-three  of
this
  article.

HOWEVER, the NYS DOH regulation found in 10 NYCRR §80.71 does require
that dispensing practitioners report to the PMP electronically within 24
hours of dispensing. I have been unable to find any exceptions for
hospitals or emergency departments regarding this requirement.

There are also references to this requirement for dispensing
practitioners in a number of the FAQs and newsletters issued by the NYS
BNE on the topic of the I-STOP and the PMP. See the bottom FAQ on page 6
of the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS for the NYS PMP issued by the BNE and
revised in February 2014:
http://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/narcotic/prescription_monitoring/docs/pmp_registry_faq.pdf

Q: How is the controlled substance data in the PMP Registry obtained?
A: All New York State pharmacies and dispensing practitioners are
required to submit their controlled substance dispensing data to the
Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement.

Please let me know if anyone else offers additional or contrary insight
to your inquiry.

Regards,

Christopher Jadoch, R.Ph., J.D.
Vice President of Public Policy, NYSCHP