[nyschp.dop] Re: Narcotic reporting

  • From: "Jadoch, Christopher" <jodochc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "nyschp.dop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <nyschp.dop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 23:31:21 +0000

Sandra:

According to Public Health Law §3343-a, it deceivingly appears that only
pharmacies are required to report such transactions to the PMP (in pertinent
part - emphasis added):

Public Health

    §  3343-a.  Prescription monitoring program registry. 1. Establishment
  of system. (a) The commissioner shall, in accordance with the provisions
  of this  section,  establish  and  maintain  an  electronic  system  for
  collecting,   monitoring   and   reporting  information  concerning  the
  prescribing and dispensing of controlled substances, to be known as  the
  prescription  monitoring  program  registry.  The registry shall include
  information reported by pharmacies on a real time basis, as set forth in
  subdivision four of section thirty-three hundred  thirty-three  of  this
  article.

HOWEVER, the NYS DOH regulation found in 10 NYCRR §80.71 does require that
dispensing practitioners report to the PMP electronically within 24 hours of
dispensing. I have been unable to find any exceptions for hospitals or
emergency departments regarding this requirement.

There are also references to this requirement for dispensing practitioners in a
number of the FAQs and newsletters issued by the NYS BNE on the topic of the
I-STOP and the PMP. See the bottom FAQ on page 6 of the FREQUENTLY ASKED
QUESTIONS for the NYS PMP issued by the BNE and revised in February 2014:
http://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/narcotic/prescription_monitoring/docs/pmp_registry_faq.pdf

Q: How is the controlled substance data in the PMP Registry obtained?
A: All New York State pharmacies and dispensing practitioners are required to
submit their controlled substance dispensing data to the Bureau of Narcotic
Enforcement.

Please let me know if anyone else offers additional or contrary insight to your
inquiry.

Regards,

Christopher Jadoch, R.Ph., J.D.
Vice President of Public Policy, NYSCHP