Re: [nvda-translations] Small problem in nvda.po files

  • From: James Teh <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mesar Hameed <mesar.hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 10:20:25 +1000

On 07/01/2012, at 6:43 PM, Mesar Hameed <mesar.hameed@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> @Jamie, only 3 messages are effected, and they are correctly extracted if the
> complete message is tripple quoted.
> Do you want me to tripple quote and commit?
I wonder if the Windows version of xgettext would behave correctly
(given that it will probably use Windows line endings natively)? If
so, we can get our build server to generate the pot file using
xgettext. Triple quoting is fairly ugly for UI strings, as you have to
avo indentation on lines other than the first, so I'd prefer to avoid
it if at all possible. This is very much a bug in xgettext.

> Also can't remember why we are using tabs instead of the recommended 4 spaces.
Aside from anything else, this is the convention in NVDA code and it's
far too late to change that now. However, I wouldn't even if I could.
:) For interest, we feel that it makes far more sense to use tabs. One
tab equates to one level of indentation, as oposed to four spaces,
which is redundant and inefficient. It's true that modern editors can
do this automatically, but modern editors also handle tabs correctly.

Thanks,
Jamie