[nvda-translations] email to NVDA community

  • From: Mesar Hameed <mesar.hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-translations@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:49:40 +0100

Hi team,

I took some time to write the following email in our name,
Can you please read it and say if you are ok or if I have missed something.

What I want to do after we are finnished, is to send it to the nvda users
mailing list, the nvda freelist and for you to translate it
and send it to nvda language lists or post it on community websites.

below is the email so far:

subject: support NVDA or you will lose it.

Dear nvda users,

Sorry for the long email, please bare with us to the end.

The time has come to show your appreciation and your determination for NVDA
development to continue.
Due to the economic downturn NV Access has received less grants than what we
would have hoped for.

We all have a duty and an obligation to request from the organizations working
for the blind such as the RNIB, UK or AFB/NFB, USA or the appropriate blind
organization in your country, to tell them that NVDA has been and continues to
be a useful and valuable tool to provide accessibility for all of us and that
they should promote and sponsor the excellent work that is being done.

Despite all the politics and the slow movement within organizations, we the
real NVDA users are able to keep NVDA development going
if each one of us took their responsibility seriously.
This is without having to wait for organizations or companies to give grants to
NV Access.

Due to many advantages, benefits and unique features of NVDA, the number of
NVDA users are growing but sadly the personal donations are not matching this
increase and are often not regular.

What we want to say clearly is that any regular donation large or small, will
keep Jamie and Michael in their full time employment working for NVDA.
What we have to remember is that they are two blind individuals like you and
me, but are gifted with rare skills that many of us could benefit from.

We should work hard not to put them in a situation where they have to choose
between doing something that they love and beleave in (improving NVDA), and
having to provide the necessities for their families and children.

The current funding is able to keep both of them employed until september this
year, and if the donations haven't increased by then
they may have to look for alternative employment.

Even if one of them leaves and the other continues the work load  will be a lot
harder, and progress will be much slower.
This will directly impact on us because we will have to wait for much longer
before tickets can be solved, which will cause us a lot of frustration and
anguish. This is not what we have been accustomed to in the last few years, we
often see regular releases and each version is superior to the previous one.

We all need to understand that, what is required is for each one of us to
donate according to our circumstances, may it be as little as 5 or 10  dollars
a month, this will be enough to keep the project going.
We Thank those of you who already donate on a regular basis.

Put this in context, we easely spend 5 dollars on a coffee
or 10/20 dollars on a meal when we eat out, surely NVDA deserves this token
amount?

Many people do charity events, such as running a marathon, doing a tandem ride,
or baking and seling cakes in their community to raise money for canser
research or any other worth while charity, we can all do the same but for NV
Access which is also a charity.

Please don't lose this opportunity to support NVDA, because if we fail to set
up regular donations, in a few months time we will all have to start paying for
expensive screenreaders because NVDA would not have been developed and updated
to match our latest needs.

We are writing this email as individuals that strongly believe in open source,
and as volunteer contributors to NVDA. We understand that it is hard for Jamie
and Michael to keep sending emails asking for donations because it feels bad to
keep asking, but we the users should act before we reach the point of no return.

Please repost/translate or anything that you feel appropriate, and please don't
forget to raise donations.

Link for donations:
http://www.nvaccess.org/wiki/Donate

Mesar, and NVDA translators.