[nvda-translations] Character descriptions: characters composed of multiple components (specifically, Hangul char descriptions)

  • From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nvda-translations@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 22:54:15 -0800

Hi folks,

I’m copying both the translations and dev_asia group to get your feedback on
the following:

Are there languages besides Korean that requires multiple char components when
constructing a single char? At least in Korean, there are character components
that goes into creating a single character (not a word). In Korean, a single
character consists of initial conscenant, one or two vowels and zero or more
final conscenants. For example, the character “ga” (written as ㄱㅏ in Korean)
has an initial conscenant (G, pronounced “gi-yug) and a vowel (ah). Or, the
character “gwan” (written as 관 in Korean, meaning a crown) has the initial
conscenant of “G”, the vowel “wa” and the final conscenant of “n” (pronounced
“ni-eun”).

As of 2012.3, when invoking char description script (numpad2 twice quickly when
the review cursor is focused on the character), the char itself is announced
again (when the char in question is a Hangul character). The ideal behavior
(requested by Korean users) is to announce the components of such a character
when this script is executed. For example, supposing that the char is “ga”:

User puts review cursor on the char “ga”. Then he or she does the following:

Current behavior under 2012.3:

·         Presses numpad2: NVDA says “ga”.

·         Presses Numpad2 for the second time: NvDA says “ga”.

Ideal behavior (investigating for and researching this with Korean users for
2013.1):

·         Presses Numpad2: NvDA says “ga”.

·         Presses Numpad2 for the second time: NvDA says “gi-yuk, ah”.

A naïve solution would be to map all possible 10773 conscenant/vowel/conscenant
set combinations in characterDescriptions.dic, which has a risk of slower
performance. A fellow Korean translator says he found a Python script which
could calculate components of a Korean char. I feel that if this is unique to
Korean, then it’s something that we Korean users can work on it ourselves;
however, if there are other languages that uses this kind of component system
for constructing a char, that could give us some test scenarios for improving
char description module in the future to take this case into account.

If you want, I’ll create a ticket for this case later this month. Thanks.

//JL