[nvda-addons] Control Usage Assistant: Application-specific control help messages

  • From: Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-addons <nvda-addons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 23:13:06 -0700

Hi,
As part of version 2.0 of Control Usage Assistant (coming this fall),
I'm implementing app-specific control help messages. Thus, I'd like to
ask a few things:
* Are there programs which should present different help message for
controls such as tables? I know Excel users doesn't have to use
control and alt keys when navigating cells (at the moment, when you
press NvDA+H in Excel cells, it gives standard help message for
navigating tables). In case of Excel, I have implemented a hard-coded
message for spreadsheet cells. So if there are programs which should
present different help message for a given control (like Excel,
Outlook and so on), please let us know (please give us the name of the
program, its executable name (if possible) and the appModule name if
you can find it; to obtain this info, press Control+NvDA+F1).
* For storing such app help messages: I'm thinking of using role
constant plus offset model where the role constant for controls and
offset value for applications would yield the key to the control help
dictionary (implemented in the current version). For instance, the
scheme I have is: role of 0 through 143 apply to controls regardless
of application, 200-399 are browse mode (virtual buffers), 400-599 are
Office suites, 600+ are other programs. Thus, for table cell, the role
number is 29. Adding a supposed app offset of 400 for Excel gives
dictionary key of 429 and its associated help message (the role
constants comes from controlTypes.py). In the end, the majority of
messages will be help messages for different applications (about 100
or 200 of them, with majority having similar message output, so all
the translator needs to do is copy and paste and modify small parts of
the message).
To track these developments, I have created a new branch on the code
repo for this add-on called "AppBasedMSGs". Thanks.
Cheers,
Josephb