[norcal-hug] Re: NORCAL-HUG website and logo

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: norcal-hug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 10:48:51 -0800

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I noticed that the logo of the website has been changed. I assume to
> this change was done in order to comply with the Haiku trademark policy,
> which is fine.

That is correct. In fact, I had been asked to change it some time ago,
but procrastinated too long.

I admit the new logo was a "quick fix", and honestly, it was donated
rather than created by me. I decided it was better than nothing, and I
am no artist, so I made a minor change to support transparency and
applied it.

> However, the new logo is misleading, because it shows as
> if the name of the user group were HAIKU NORCAL, which it is not; I am
> of course assuming that the name has not been changed, based on the fact
> that there has been no communication whatsoever on such a change.
> Correct me if I am wrong.

Nope, you are correct. I did also note the inaccuracy of this name,
and was planning to do something about it, but I have been too tied up
with other things lately.

> In light of this, I have a proposal: I have been wanting to upgrade the
> Drupal system of the website to version 6 since quite a while, so I
> thought I could do the upgrade now and I could at the same time create a
> logo that faithfully portrays the naming of our user group.

Sounds good. If you want, I can transfer the domain and website to
hosting of your choice and you can work on it as you see fit. I
personally have no time to work on the site myself, and I feel like
I'm doing a disservice to those who can/do.

Feel free to email me details off-list and we can do a site
backup/transfer or whatever you think is best.

- Urias