[noCensorship] Re: p2p clients (was: Re: Re: Localproxy related questions)

  • From: Osamah <iq0099@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 20:54:30 -0700 (PDT)

I have tried both of them, but no traffic is going on...
I don't know what dht is, nor where to get them, but i'll be searching for
them..
wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Osamah wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I never needed a proxy, because I was picking up proxies from here and
> there.. So I never considered playing around with this topic... However, many
> of my friends in KSA need them!
> I too live in KSA and now using the OrbitNet SAT link and they have stopped
> us from using P2P.. So I would like to bypass them ans start using these P2P
> Programs..
> Can Anyone help?

I don't think they can stop p2p now.

The newer Bittorent p2p clients (like Azureus and BitComet) can use distributed
hash tables to get to other peers. To block them it would necessary to block
every tracker in the world, and the dht as well. that would amount to a whole
bunch of ports blocked, and they would be changing all the time. Once even one
outside peer using dht (or willing to report the other peers it knows about) is
found, the whole lot become available, and they are on even more random ports
than the trackers.

That doesn't stop your ISP from limiting your upload bandwidth though, and that
seems to be the current trend in the USA. There's a new breed of ISP hardware
that actually detects protocols (Bittorrent mostly) and limits rates
appropriately.

I've tried using Azureus tracker connections through localproxy and it worked
well. The actual client connections would work too, but would rely on some
proxies being able to CONNECT to the outside client ports. Such proxies are
rare these days.

So, give it a try.
Azureus is Java (slooow on Windows, but ok on Linux), and BitComet is native
(fast, but only for Windows IIRC). Azureus seems to be further down the dht
track, and generally more fully-featured.
Get the dht plugin(s?), and enable it. Set your port to something random and
not blocked (open your router for that port, if you have one). Get a torrent or
two started. Wait a while and see what happens.

Regards,
wayne
===8>============== noCensorship community ===============
List's webpage: //www.freelists.org/webpage/nocensorship
List's archive: //www.freelists.org/archives/nocensorship
SUBJECT field.
Moderator's email: nocensorship-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
===8>============== noCensorship community ===============

Everything is possible, when you know how!