[noCensorship] first time user of proxyTools (was:Re: Help for an absolutely new user)

  • From: wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 6 Nov 2002 12:58:02 -0000

> From: Mat Brown <mat_brown_jr@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [noCensorship] Help for an absolutely new user
> To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Dear List moderator / memebers
>

> - I am absolutely new to the group.
> - I am interested in using Proxy Tools
> - I have Zero knowledge of Perl
> - I am interested in learning
> - Is there an FAQ ? for beginners somewhere ?
>
> I checked the threads at
> //www.freelists.org/archives/nocensorship/
> //www.freelists.org/archives/nocensorship/11-2002/
> //www.freelists.org/archives/nocensorship/10-2002/
>
> etc.
>
> Most messages seem to be from experienced users

Wrong list.
Go to the web page in my sig below, and join the
proxytools-users list. LocalProxy is one of the tools in that
package. You don't need to understand any Perl, but if you do,
you can make the tools do whatever you like.

> Can the list moderator tell me where to start ?

Assuming you've downloaded it and unzipped it, double-click
readme.html and click the Overview link under 'Other tools' (hmm ...
I will put this somewhere more obvious :-). Then look at the
'Quick start' link under 'LocalProxy'.

In summary it all says (I assume you use Windows):
1) install perl from www.activestate.com

The overview describes how to use each command-line tool.
The most difficult (and most functional) tool is localProxy,
so I'll run through that here. The other tools need some of
the modules that get automatically downloaded in 2)
below, so do this stuff anyway:
2) double-click localProxy.pl, and wait for the extra Perl modules
   to download.
3) select a configuration from the list (e.g.UAE-dialup).
4) click 'Start services', watch the log window which pops up
5) wait for the build to finish and beep at you (could be minutes)
6) configure the browser as described in the log window (proxy at
   localhost:10080)
7) browse until it learns (complicated web pages are best).

That's all there is to it, the first time.
After the first time, you don't need to do 1) obviously; you can
use configuration 'last' to load the last build used (speeds up the
build a lot).

When you feel daring, click the 'Advanced' button, and start
reading more of the help.

You can ask for help any time on the proxytools-users list.
Let me know where the documentation falls down too.

--
wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://proxytools.sourceforge.net/

===8<============== noCensorship community ===============