[noCensorship] Re: dsl or cable?

  • From: "Benjamin T. Moore, Jr." <btmoore@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 09:42:09 -0500

Much depends on whether you're paying for it or your parents are...
My personal experience with cable was sooo deplorable that I totally
got rid of them! I called them and told them to come and get
everything out of my house! I went to Dish Networks for my
televiewing and could kick myself for not having done it years ago! I
went with DSL for my internet and haven't looked back since!

Here's what I found from my personal experience. At first cable was
great! The download speeds were awesome as well as the upload speeds.
However, over time I begin to notice my bill was creeping up slowly
but surely. It was always small and almost negligible, nevertheless,
one or two dollars a month over the course of two years and suddenly,
I awoke to the fact I was paying double what I had been at the start!
To add insult to injury, the cable company - Comcast - begin
diminishing my service. My download speeds began dropping. My upload
speeds did the same. Whenever I'd call to complain, I'd get the
standard, "reboot, reboot, reboot, turn off your cable modem, wait 1
minute then reboot. This became ridiculous! As if this wasn't enough,
they discontinued or rather I should say, they "out sourced" their
usenet news feeds to "Giga-News." While Giga-News carried more and
the speeds were better, Giga-News also instituted a monthly bandwidth
limit. What had once been unlimited uploads and downloads, shrunk to
1 gig a month. I could of course pay extra for more bandwidth. This
seemed simply objectionable. When I'd signed up with cable, I was
unlimited. My bill did NOT reflect the diminishment of service.

The notion that the cable service is more stable than the phone
service - the people bringing you DSL - is a joke! Here in
Indianapolis, IN., Comcast was being sued by our local government for
shoddy service. Long outages were the rule rather than the exception!
True enough, a few years back the phone company was in similar
straights. However, they got their act together and whenever I've had
to call them, I get immediate resolution. How reliable is your DSL
going to be? How reliable is your phone service? Cars hitting poles,
ice storms etc. can cause your service to be interrupted. However,
it's been my experience that the phone company will devote whatever
resources are required to getting you back up and running and
restoring service. The cable company on the other hand, because the
people at the top are pocketing as much as they can, generally
haven't invested in the repair crews and the support staff.

You might get the notion from my tone I bear no love for the cable
company. You'd be correct! I've found them to be nothing more than
thieves and robbers... And incompetent ones at that! My opinion is
everyone should rip out their cable, go with a satellite system and
DSL. You'll find it to be less expensive in the long run and
definitely not the headache you'll get fooling with cable. Besides,
switching to satellite, I discovered that for years I'd been paying
for digital pictures and only receiving analog. The Cable companies
response? "Well, our pictures ARE digital once you get above channel
100. Funny, all the things I watch, news, local stations etc. are
below channel 100. Going to satellite, every single channel was
digital and boy was I pleased with the difference!

Back to DSL. I've had NO complaints with DSL. My speeds are pretty
near the same. Ping times are better. I own the copper from my house
to the phone company! I'm not sharing bandwidth with others in my
subdivision. The list goes on and on. Just my .02

- --
Benjamin T. Moore, Jr. - btmoore@xxxxxxxxx ICQ UIN - 8159114
*The Price of Freedom is Self-Reliance! The Cost is Education!*