[noCensorship] Testing proxies via CONNECT (was:Re: Some Help with Lp)

  • From: wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, proxytools-users@xxxxxx
  • Date: 1 Apr 2003 00:41:51 -0000

> From: andrepad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [noCensorship] Some Help with Lp
>
> Im giving the firsts steps with LP... my question is how can i do a proxy
> test (at test/merge proxies butom) if im behind a http proxy? Is it possible
> or not?

You are inside a firewall/proxy and can't get direct access to an
outside proxy you wish to test?

I'll guess that's the situation. But are you sure you want to do this?
The only reason it's useful is to test proxies for layer 1 use by
localProxy, or maybe the destination proxy for httPort.
If you think you want this for inclusion in LP, you are wrong. LP
already has a database of pretested proxies to use.
No tests required until you're sure it's using a significant number
of bad ones, and even then you might not notice because LP is
self-healing.

I will also guess/assume you have Perl. If you are using the
executable statProxy, substitute 'statProxy' for 'perl statProxy.pl'
in the commands below.

Anyway ...
LP is the wrong tool for this job.
You need statProxy.

Steps:
1) Find out *all* the proxies you can reach (at least find out
all your ISP's proxies). Let's say they are all called proxy.isp.com
and are all on port 8080.
2) Find out whether they can be used with CONNECT and to which
standard proxy ports they will allow CONNECT by doing:
perl statProxy.pl -t 4:9:11 proxy.isp.com:8080
That will test CONNECT to ports 80, 3128, 8080.
You will get something like this (I used proxy1.emirates.net.ae:8080):

Extracting proxy strings, safeing, expanding/skipping ports,
validating, resolving, deduping...
2 proxies to test (after processing)
ctrl-c to see results so far; double-ctrl-c to abort
Running test: 4 9 11 213.42.1.17:8080
statProxy v4.152 report from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(ISP):
195.229.240.67  :8080      P    P P         ?/? agent:NetCache NetApp/5.2.1D8
213.42.1.17     :8080      F    F F         ?/?
Wall clock time:  0.18 mins.

Results have been copied to file statProxy.2003.4.1.2.out

For each proxy there is one line of test results (the 'P'(ass),
'F'(ail)). Test results for you may also include ' ' (a space - the
test was not, or could not be, performed), 'R'(efused) and
'T'(imeout). The test results are in the positions
of the test number requested; the first 'P'/'F' is for test 0,
the next is for test 9, the last is for test 11.

If you have Perl, you can use:
perldoc statProxy.pl
to view the statProxy documentation which tells you that test 4 is
for CONNECT to port 80, 9 is for port 3128 and 11 is for port 8080.
If you have no Perl (or you like to see web page help documentation)
just double-click readme.html.

So then you know (in the example above) that one proxy will allow
CONNECT to all the standard proxy ports. Now you can use this one to
test other outside proxies on those ports which you are otherwise
unable to reach because of your firewall. If (for example) the
test for CONNECT to port 3128 (the middle test result above) had
failed for any proxy, you cannot use this one to test any outside
proxy on port 3128. In that case, split your proxy list into a
list each proxy can test.

3) Now you have a suitable proxy for tests on a particular outside
proxy or list of them). Let's say the external proxy to test is
proxy.ext.com:80.
Do this:
perl statProxy.pl -t all:-18 -C 195.229.240.67:8080 proxy.ext.com:80
(see the -l option if you have a file of external proxies to test).
That will run all the tests (except the socks test) on proxy.ext.com:80
using CONNECT to bounce off the proxy at 195.229.240.67:8080.
The test results will look similar to the above tests on a normal
proxy, but you will find that there are more spaces and timeouts
just because the chain is longer.
Something like:
216.77.56.124   :80    PF  F F  FFFF FPFP F 1.9/2.9

Test 0 (the first 'P' on the line above) is the standard GET test
for the proxy. If that one passes, the proxy is alive and working
as a normal proxy. For these external proxies, that's pretty much
all you would want to know for web browsing.

Hope that helps.

--
wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://proxytools.sourceforge.net/