[noCensorship] Re: Shake It Up!

  • From: wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 6 Mar 2003 15:31:28 -0000

> From: Vickie <redt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [noCensorship] Re: Shake It Up!
> To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Oh you would have to set it everyday?

Actually setting it is a one-time thing - it should stay there
until you change it.
You'd normally wait until it fails or gets slow, then look for
another one.
Anonymous proxies (see below) should be tested often for your own
safety.

> Okay.  And I know it is suppose to
> hide your idenity right?

Not normally.
For that, you need a special proxy that doesn't pass
your IP address to the web site. You should also turn off the
active stuff in your web browser to be sure.
To find such a proxy:
1) Lists of anonymous proxies are posted on the net periodically.
2) Or you can run through the lists posted here recently with (say)
statProxy.
3) Or test each one by hand on the proxy test web sites
that exist on the net.

> It will show the ip of the proxie you went
> through.  Okay if I sent an e-mail through a proxie would my ip be hide.

Err ... you mean a web-based email site like hotmail?
If hotmail, the answer is *no*. Hotmail adds your IP address to the
email headers it sends. I don't use hotmail, but it's entirely
possible that the address they add is your real address. They
didn't do that last time I looked, but you couldn't rely on it
staying that way. If the proxy you use is an anonymous one, then
they could only add the proxy address, of course.
Hotmail also goes into a secure mode for one page during the login,
so whatever proxy you used would need to be tested for anonymity
in that mode too.

I would not trust hotmail for this kind of thing.
Most others don't do this.

If you really want email anonymity, google for 'anonymous remailers'.

> When I was trying to do it I emailed myself and it still had my ip in the
> headers or either I didn't do it right.

Good! That's the way to find out.
Try some other email services.
Try with an anonymous proxy.

> Or maybe that just goes for hiding
> your ip on websites.

You still need an anon proxy.

> I think using a proxie would be great if I could learn
> how to do it.

The tricks are mainly in testing them.
If you rely on other people's lists, then you find most don't work,
and you will never know when an anon proxy suddenly becomes non-anon.

If you tell us what kind of firewall you have there, we could give
you a few which work now, to play with. What proxy ports have you
been able to use? Do you need a proxy at all?

> Vickie

You also asked:
> From: Vickie <redt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [noCensorship] Re: Proxy config and UAE-dialup transparent proxy
> (was:
>  Re: Re: Shake It Up!)
> To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> I remember I set it through outlook express.  Is that what you mean?
> Vickie

Ahah!
I don't use it, but it's possible there is a way to get to the
Windows settings from there. The normal way would be to use IE and
go into tools|internet settings|connections|etc. Or (IIRC) the control
panel 'internet options'.

If you set it in OE while you had an IE window open, then exited
OE, it might be that the IE window rewrites it's idea of the proxy
back to the registry when it is closed. That would overwrite any
changes you made in OE. To be sure, close eveything except one IE
window,update the proxy, close IE, open IE and check it's still
there. It will also be used by OE after that.

--
wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://proxytools.sourceforge.net/

===8>============== noCensorship community ===============