[nnasnet] changing seasons

  • From: Tom Saunders <birdnerd53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 09:49:01 -0400

All,

There were seven kestrels on the power lines next to our lane when I got
home yesterday afternoon, and at least three were still there this morning.
The front coming through has pushed many birds, including raptors, towards
the south. I saw my first northern harrier of the season (infallibly
referred to as a hairy northerner by Harry Armistead of Cape Charles
Christmas Bird Count fame)  at the top of Hard Bargain Hill this morning.
When they show up all claims of a lingering summer must be abandoned.
Nearer to town the very reliable red-shouldered hawk has arrived on station
on Rt. 200, across the road from the entrance to Mercer Place. No one looks
forward to the corn harvest and roadside mowing as much as this one.

Tom Saunders
Balls Neck