[nnasnet] Fw: Audubon Club Birdwalk of Mon., 10/13/14

  • From: "Vic Stover" <smok5y@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "nnasnet" <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 19:51:07 -0400

ENJOY MONDAY BIRD WALK!!! Reta
----- Original Message -----
From: Maryalyce and Lance
To: Reta Stover ; Maryalyce Johnsen
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:53 PM
Subject: Audubon Club Birdwalk of Mon., 10/13/14

Hi Reta,
     Fourteen hardy souls arrived at the Shiloh School on Monday morning at 10
am, 10/13/14, and were greeted by Jane Towner and June Turnage, President of
Northumberland Preservation, Inc. (NPI) who provided refreshments of coffee,
donuts and orange juice.  We then set up car-pools to go to Hughlett Point
Natural Area Preserve.  I mentioned “hardy souls” as our weather was
intermittent drizzle but we wore our rain gear and prepared for it.
     Frank Schaff led the group with some help from his wife, Linda.  We
totalled 24 bird species.  Our star of the walk was a gorgeous Peregrine Falcon
that we got wonderful long looks at, through Frank Schaff’s and Lance Johnsen’s
scopes.  The bird was quite cooperative and stayed for a while.
     The other birds in the order we viewed them were:  American Kestral, Great
Blue Heron, Double-crested Cormorant, Bald Eagle, Osprey, Great Black-backed
Gull, Herring Gull, Brown Pelican, Northern Gannet, American Crow, Carolina
Wren, Royal Tern, Ruddy Duck, Northern Pintail, Pied-billed Grebe, Peregrine
Falcon, Belted Kingfisher, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Red-headed Woodpecker,
Northern Flicker, Northern Cardinal, Blue Jay, Downey Woodpecker, Carolina
Chickadee, and a Red-bellied Woodpecker.
     Ten of us were able to go to lunch at KC’s and it was very enjoyable.  The
food was delicious and a good time was had by all.
                                                              Happy birding,
                                                              Maryalyce J.
Johnsen
P.S.  Sorry to be a tad late with my report but I had a computer glitch and
lost my original report after having it all finished on Tuesday afternoon.  I
got some advice about how to retrieve it but nothing worked so it is out in
outer space there somewhere.  Oh well!  Take care for now.
                                                              Mary
No virus found in this message.