[nnasnet] Re: Water Fowl Watching

  • From: Judith Lang/ Lynton Land <jandl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jpsps@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 07:38:45 -0500

Not to be a wet blanket, but according to the Code of Virginia it is illegal to throw any kind of organic material into the water unless it is being used as bait. That certainly included fish carcasses, crab debris, grass clippings and now corn. The reason is obvious. It will be decomposed by microbes and constitute nutrient pollution.

§ 62.1-194. Casting garbage, etc., into waters.

Except as otherwise permitted by law, it shall be unlawful for any person to cast, throw or dump any garbage, refuse, dead animal, trash, carton, can, bottle, container, box, lumber, timber or like material, or other solid waste, except fish or crab bait in any form, into any of the waters of this Commonwealth. When a violation of any provision of this section has been observed by any person, and the matter dumped or disposed of in the waters of this Commonwealth has been ejected from a boat, the owner or operator of such boat shall be presumed to be the person ejecting such matter; provided, however, that such presumption shall be rebuttable by competent evidence. Every such act shall be a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $1,000 or confinement in jail not to exceed thirty days, or both. Every law- enforcement officer of this Commonwealth and its subdivisions shall have authority to enforce the provisions of this section.

Lynton Land

On Nov 27, 2011, at 2:05 PM, Jessica and Paul Servis wrote:

Here is a tip for any that live on the water and enjoy water fowl.

Jim Wagner one of our NNAS Board Members told me a few years ago that he throws corn off his dock to bring in the diving ducks.

I have be throwing out about a gallon every few days in the late fall and winter since then, and the birds have really responded.

All you need to do is go to your Southern States Store and pick up a bag of shelled whole kernel corn. ( while you are there tell them you are a member of NNAS and thank them for selling our Bluebird Boxes). Just broadcast the corn off the end of your dock or in any area where you can observe the birds from your home. It will take a few days for the ducks to find it but after that you will have a great show. They will be back every day looking for an easy snack.

P. Servis