[nnasnet] Pocahontas State Park

  • From: "joandboys" <joandboys@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 23:05:06 GMT

Hi,
     Hiking yesterday at Pocahontas SP was heavenly in all respects...so much
birdsong that I got dizzy, but I couldn't identify most of it. Sightings
included red-headed woodpeckers, incredibly bright in the sunlight, blue-gray
gnatcatchers, a flock of glowing-yellow goldfinches, a titmouse pair going
busily in and out of a nest hole, lots of blue jays and red-winged blackbirds,
two tree swallows, two yellow-throated warblers, either a common yellowthroat
or a masked yellowthroat - his breast and belly were solid yellow. Also, there
is a pileated woodpecker's nesting hole behind the CCC Museum, and I watched
as one gorgeous bird flew back and forth, and the other peeked out. It was my
first visit to the park, and I was happily impressed.
     A mockingbird pair is nesting in a holly tree in our front yard, and there
is finally nesting material in the bluebird box in our back field. Haven't seen
the painted bunting since April 7th.
                                          Joanne C