[nnasnet] NNAS Monitoring of KCGC/HQ Bluebird Trail April 18, 2011

  • From: "Teeps" <tandpteeps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "NNASHotline" <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 20:49:57 -0400

O bluebird, welcome back again, Thy azure coat and ruddy vest, Are hues
that April loveth best....
- John Burroughs, The Bluebird

Well, we are making progress but there has been no explosion of eggs, just
yet.  And we have the first babies of the season!!
The early nest I told you about last week, the one in which the VA Bluebird
Society is interested, has 5  husky youngsters.  They must have hatched
right after our check of the box last week.  We placed their age at 6 days
old.  Counting backward for six days of growth, 14 days of brooding and 5
days for laying the eggs (this is not allowing any rest between finishing
laying and start of incubation!)  gives us a date of March 24 for the first
egg.  This couple was eager to get started.

I am going to predict, right now, that we will NOT break last years record
of fledging 273 BB young.  There was a warm spell at the start of the
season last year that gave a jump start to production.  However, this
season we will pass the 1000 mark for total number of fledges.  We started
in 2006 with about a dozen boxes and gradually installed/incorporated more
boxes to reach the level of 36 boxes.

Several interesting developments, today, besides the 5 babies.  There were
7 nests where the female was on the nest and they did not leave as we
checked on them.  So there are some additional eggs that we have not
counted, yet.  One monitor has reported feeling under the sitting female to
count the eggs.  We do not do that; we just close the box and leave them to
their business.  A curious thing at the #11 tee.  This is an experimental
box that does not have the usual entrance hole.  Instead, it has a slit at
the top for entering and leaving.  This style of box is supposed to
discourage House Sparrows.  Guess where we had to remove a HS nest, today.
There is a completed chickadee nest in the box in my back yard (sigh).  No
BBs in that box for about 3 years, but the chickadees will be welcomed.
And there are apparently 2 Tree Swallow nests in the martin gourds.  In the
past there has only been one nesting pair of TS in the gourds.

Here is a summary:
Last week, 4 partial nests; this week, 1 partial nest.
Last week, 14 complete nests (no eggs); this week 9 complete nests.
Last week, 29 eggs; this week 56+? eggs.
Last week, no young; this week, 5 young.