[nnasnet] New York and Virginia birds

  • From: "joandboys" <joandboys@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "nnasnet" <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 20:10:13 GMT

Hi,
     Hiking at Glimmerglass State Park near Cooperstown, NY last week brought
sightings of about 24 species of birds...made me dizzy! Highlights included 6
Baltimore orioles, male and female, my first bobolink, first palm warbler,
yellow warblers, a wood duck mama and duckling, green and great blue herons,
tree and barn swallows, kingbirds, cedar waxwings, bluebirds, a house wren
perched on its nesting box and many more. Here at home, the bluebirds in our
back field successfully fledged 5 babies, including one that lingered in the
box for a week after the others had flown. A pair of Carolina wrens have nested
in our gazebo, and their babies look about ready to depart...also, a
mockingbird flies at my head whenever I cross my driveway. Recently spotted a
scarlet tanager at Dameron's Marsh (my first), as well as a blue grosbeak pair
and a great-crested flycatcher. Hummingbirds busy fighting at the feeder.
                                                Joanne C. - Wicomico Church