[nnasnet] NNAS Monitoring of KCGC/HQ Bluebird Trail, June 13, 2011

  • From: "Teeps" <tandpteeps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "NNASHotline" <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 16:38:55 -0400

Without question the most deplorable event in the history of American
ornithology was the introduction of the English Sparrow.
- WL Dawson, The Birds of Ohio, 1903

 KCGC is the King Carter Golf Course, located just south of Kilmarnock off
of Irvington Road.  HQ is the Hills Quarter community associated with the
golf course.

They are not part of the BB trail, but 'my' catbirds fledged some
youngsters this week.  I know the approximate location of the nest because
when I was working at the back of our yard, earlier in the week, I got a
royal scolding from the female catbird.

Some people asked about our flag which adorns the golf cart as we monitor.
The attached pictures are of the flag and our regular monitoring crew.
Image 0202 is of Mac Green and Earline Walker.  Image 0199 is of Tom
Teeples and Earline.  My wading pool is in the background.

 The run of empty boxes continues this week.  One deterrent to the BBs that
we know of is House Sparrows.  After a couple of years of relative quiet on
the HS front, they are back like a plague.  We are fighting them in several
boxes!  Which made me think the opening quote is still quite appropriate,
over a hundred years later.

This week, only one box fledged it's young.   With 3 babies fledging and 3
new young hatched, there are still 3 more boxes with 8 babies of the first
brood batch.   There  is 1 new partial nest,  and 2 new complete nests with
no eggs, yet.   And 11 nests with  35+ eggs; ranging from ? to 5 in each
nest.   The ? is due to several females sitting on the nests and not
leaving.  We will get a count on these, later.

Here is a summary of where we stand:
Last week,  24 eggs; this week, 35+ eggs.
Last week,  8 young; this week, 8 young.
Last week,  9  fledged; this week, 3 fledged.
Total fledged for the season:  117.

 More later........Tom