[nnasnet] NNAS Good morning birds

  • From: paula.boundy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "NNAS Hotline" <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 09:25:52 -0500

A service of the Northern Neck Audubon Society---
Wow, what a beautiful morning!  The frost was so heavy it looked liked snow.
As I sat in my room looking out onto my front garden, the birds came to the
feeder but then realized what goodies were in the garden.  Some pecked on the
ground and many gleaned seeds from standing tall coreopsis, native sunflowers
and zinnias.  Although the foliage and blooms are looking somewhat dreadful and
dead, the seeds are ripe for the birds and they bring color and movement to the
garden.

After watching the small birds awhile, I returned to the paper and coffee.
Soon, I caught a movement in my peripheral vision and watched until there were
10 mourning doves under the feeder or elsewhere in the garden.  These birds are
so usual, they are not often mentioned in the "hotline"; but when there were
10, I just had to brag.

Sometimes its the simple things in life that are most satisfactory...enjoy this
time of thanksgiving and nature on the Northern Neck.  Paula at Hills Qtr, #18
hole of golf course
"Value the land for the life it harbors"  Sarah Stein

You are subscribed to the NNASnet, a birding hotline
sponsored by the Northern Neck of Virginia Audubon Society.
with "leave" in the subject line (please omit quotation marks).
For other questions or comments about the listserver,
send messages to:  nnasnet-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx