[nnasnet] scoters and boat-tailed grackles at Hughlett Point NAP, Northumberland County

  • From: Tom Saunders <birdnerd53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VA-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 15:52:39 -0500

All,

Hughlett Point NAP (lower Northumberland County, Northern Neck) was eerily
quiet this afternoon, with only a white-throated sparrow and a hairy
woodpecker along the three quarter mile walk in along the woods trail. On
the southern tip of the beach, however, we came across a flock of 34
boat-tailed grackles working one of the exposed peat tumps at low tide,
more than we've ever seen here at one time. Off shore of the northern
section of beach was an impressive raft of 1600 (give or take) surf scoters
with maybe a hundred buffleheads mixed in. Forster's terns, two great
egrets, some herring and ring-billed gulls and two or three adult bald
eagles round out the trip list. Not a single myrtle warbler, which beggars
belief.

Tom and Sylvia Saunders
Balls Neck, near Kilmarnock