[nnasnet] Laurel Grove

  • From: "Jessica and Paul Servis" <jpsps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "NNAS" <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 16:16:52 -0400

The Laurel Grove section of the Rappahannock River Valley National Wildlife
Refuge was opened to the public last year. Some of our NNAS members assisted in
the effort to clear, mark and reopen the trail around the pond. This area is a
great addition to the other wonderful RRVNWR lands and the best part about it
is that it is much closer to many of us in Lancaster and Northumberland
Counties than the rest of the Refuge areas. We now have another special place
for birding, hiking, fishing and enjoying nature.

As you know budget cuts have made it impossible for the Refuge to hire enough
help to do all that must be done to keep the areas safe and in top shape.
Friends of the RRVNWR have been pitching in to help where they are needed for
several years and now they need our help. The Friends have been working on the
Hutchinson Tract and at Wilna, but Laurel Grove is a long hike for them because
many are from the Tappahannock area.

I am looking for a few good women and men who are willing to put in a few hours
a month in support of the Laurel Grove Area. Trail grooming is an area of need.
We also need volunteers to walk the trail and check for and report downed trees
or other problems that my need attention.

With your help we will be able to set up schedules for some two or three person
teams that will share the work load. The RRVNWR staff will provide us with
training and support.

Please send me your phone number !

Paul Servis