[nikonf4] Shades of Green

  • From: Koichi Mac <nikonf3tmd4@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Nikon F4 <nikonf4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 23:34:01 -0800

        Well, I have to think how much of that "too much blue" is due to the
feature of Velvia film and lack of skylight filter.  Yeah, the loss of cloud
detail bothers me a little.

        Let me see if I can find the original slide again and rescan……OK, here
it is.  This is untouched, at 1.0 default brightness setting.  Seems slightly
underexposed……by 1/3 stop?  The cloud does not seem all that much better
(included the original photos below).  So it means I can't do much on the
cloud.  Or, does it look right to you?  Do you think I tend to over-brighten?

image/jpg

        Have been pretty busy scanning slides and editing iTunes music files in
the past week.  Just sprayed straight bleach to kill mildew in my bathroom -
halfway.  Didn't use respirator - now kinda hard to breathe. Cigarette doesn't
taste good to me at this moment.

Koichi Yasutani - a.k.a. Steve + MP
Lakewood, WA U.S.A.
2010 / 12 / 8           23:34 PST

On Nov 30, 2010, at 2036 , Eric Welch wrote:

> Too much blue in the first two images. They needed that skylight filter. :-D
>
> The sky is also pretty blown out. Much better to drop the exposure since
> there's plenty of detail in the foreground. Back in the film days, this is
> the kind of photo the split gradient filters were for.
>
> From: Koichi Mac <nikonf3tmd4@xxxxxxx>
> Date: November 30, 2010 8:11:45 PST
> To: Nikon F4 <nikonf4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [nikonf4] Shades of Green
>
>       Not sure if I ever sent this out before.  But if I did, they were from
> PS-50 digital.  These are scanned from Nikon F3, AFS 28-70/2.8 Fuji Velvia.
> Which one looks better?
>
> This one no black point, white point adjustment.

image/jpg

> 0.02% black point, white point.  Looks brightened up but lost more cloud
> details.

image/jpg

> This one looks best among other same shots.

image/jpg