Documentary Shows American Troops Tortured Taliban

  • From: "Muslim-News" <editor_@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <submit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 15:47:37 +0100

Source: Sunday Mirror

American troops cut out the tongues of Taliban prisoners and poured acid
over their heads before ordering their deaths, a TV documentary claims.

The film Massacre At Mazar claims that the soldiers orchestrated the
mass
slaughter of al-Qaeda fighters during an uprising at the prison
following
the bloodiest battle of the Afghan war, at Mazar-e-Sharif. One Northern
Alliance soldier says in the film: "The Americans did whatever they
wanted.
We had no power to stop them.

"I was a witness when an American soldier broke one prisoner's neck and
poured acid-like substances on others." Another witness claims four
prisoners were beaten unconscious by US soldiers, then disappeared. He
says:

"They cut their hair and poured acid or something on to them. They were
screaming and jumping up and down. They had a black stick and beat
them."

The US and Northern Alliance have always denied claims of a massacre at
the
Qala-i-Janghi fortress in Mazar-e-Sharif. The evidence of new atrocities

comes after the Sunday Mirror published pictures of the horrific
treatment
of Taliban fighters held at another camp, Shibarghan - dubbed the Afghan

Auschwitz.

The film, made by British producer Jamie Doran, and shown to the German
parliament last week, also tells how 8,000 Taliban prisoners were
rounded up
and transported in metal containers to Shirbaghan. A driver of one of
the
trucks says many prisoners died of thirst in the stifling containers.

Another witness admits to accidental fatalities when he shot holes in
the
side of containers to allow prisoners to breath. He says: "They were
crying
for air. I hit the side with bullets to create air - and some were
killed."

And two men claim they were forced to drive hundreds of Taliban into the
desert where they were shot while up to 40 US soldiers looked on. The
film
is based on testimonies from six witnesses, including a senior army
officer.

All have agreed to give evidence at any future war crimes tribunal.

Last night human rights lawyer Andrew McEntee, former chairman of
Amnesty
International UK, called for the allegations to be investigated. He
said:
"These alleged crimes would carry a life imprisonment in many
countries." A
US Army spokesman said later: "We have been asked about allegations that

Taliban prisoners were executed while US special forces soldiers stood
by
and watched. We checked and didn't have anything to substantiate those
allegations."

Source: Sunday Mirror

You can choose whether you prefer to receive regular emails or a weekly digest
by visiting http://www.muslim-news.net

Archive: http://archive.muslim-news.net

You can subscribe by sending an email to request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the subject line, or by visiting
http://www.muslim-news.net

word "unsubscribe" (without quotes) in the subject line, or by visiting
http://www.muslim-news.net

You are welcome to submit any relevant news story to submit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For regular Islamic cultural articles by email, send email to
revivalist-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx