Britons are racist, says prosecutor

  • From: "Muslim-News" <editor_@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <submit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:59:42 +0100

LONDON, June 24: The head of the Crown prosecution service of Britain
has claimed that his own organization and the vast majority of the
British public are "racist".

The director of public prosecutions, Sir David Calvert-Smith in an
interview said, the crown prosecution service, which he heads, the
police and the whole of British society is riddled with racial
stereotyping.

He said: "It is my firm belief that British society is institutionally
racist. I come to this with the idea that the whole of society has a
problem."

Sir David admitted that his organization was institutionally racist as
revealed by two reports a year ago. The inquiry was set up after a flood
of race discrimination claims by the crown prosecution staff.

Sir David says: "It is my firm belief that the British society is
institutionally racist. A great deal has got to be done across the whole
spectrum of British society, so I come to this with the idea that the
whole of society has a problem."

Asked if he believed that all, or almost all Britons, are racist, Sir
David replied in affirmative.

"Whether we are talking about asylum, or sports, then there are various
stereotypical assumptions made," he added.

Source:  Dawn