[neuroling] Re: any comment, anybody ?

  • From: Alexander Z. Guiora <aguiora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Andrew W. Siegal Ph.D." <asiegal1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:44:19 +0200

Dear Prof. Siegal:

Thank you for this excellent and most illuminating review.

Best,

A.Z. Guiora

On Sep 18, 2007, at 5:22 PM, Andrew W. Siegal Ph.D. wrote:

Prof. Guiora & Dr.  Boiano,

Let me thank you both for forwarding this wonderful description of what sounds like a classical case of Foreign Accent Syndrome (FAS) as first described by G.H. Monrad-Krohn during WW II when a Norwegian woman suffered a penetrating shrapnel wound adjacent to Broca's area and as her recovery proceded to near perfection, she inexplicably developed a distinct and clipped, German accent, which given the sociopolitical Zeitgeist in Norway at the time was not a social advantage. The lady found herself not only brain injured but scorned.

I have seen at least two personal cases of FAS, and I am sure that the missing third case at the edge of my memory fields will reveal itself later in the day, but can assure you that the appearance of FAS, as initially reported by Monrad-Krohn, usually follows an expressive aphasia, either Broca's aphasia or subcortical motor aphasia.

Usually FAS is discussed in terms of its resulting from one or another of the dysprosodiae, and the selective effect of the melodic intonation, timing, and emphasis upon the articulation of vowel sounds may be the key element in explaining the change in dialect experienced by the British young man.

Ross points out that nearly 100 years ago Hughlings Jackson pointed out that the para-linguistic aspects of language would be found to be subserved by the right hemisphere, and indeed over time the role of the non dominant hemisphere in producing dysprosodiae has required consideration. I think that it would be fair to say that FAS represents various hyper and hypo functions of selective elements of prosodic (and often gestural) aspects of communication as they attempt to reintegrate with linguistic elements during the recovery process. The FAS, itself, would represent a "secondary symptom" within Kurt Goldstein's conceptualization of neuropsychopathology, or "the rule of the ungoverned" within Jackson's.

If it would not be perceived as presumptuous, let me refer you to a text which I found enormously useful and which has an excellent review of both the dysprosodiae and FAS. Elliot D. Ross, M.D., The Aprosodias. pp 743-753 in Todd Feinberg, M.D. & Martha Farah, Ph.D., Behavioral Neurology and Neuropsychology. (2nd edition) McGraw Hill, NY, 199/2003.

Ross devotes considerable attention to detailing the various linguistic and paralinguistic elements, which if disordered are capable of resulting in FAS.

My Best Regards and I hope that this information is of use.

Andrew W. Siegal, Ph.D. Clinical Professor of Psychology Division of Psychology in the School of Education & Psychology Graduate Division
                                                        Touro College