[neuroling] Re: any comment, anybody ?

  • From: " Andrew W. Siegal Ph.D." <asiegal1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <neuroling-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Giancarlo Buoiano" <neuroling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:22:46 -0400

Prof. Guiora & Dr.  Boiano,

Let me thank you both for forwarding this wonderful description of what sounds
like a classical case of Foreign Accent Syndrome (FAS) as first described by
G.H. Monrad-Krohn during WW II when a Norwegian woman suffered a penetrating
shrapnel wound adjacent to Broca's area and  as her recovery proceded to near
perfection, she inexplicably developed a distinct and clipped, German accent,
which given the sociopolitical Zeitgeist in Norway at the time was not a social
advantage.  The lady found herself not only brain injured but scorned.

I have seen at least two personal cases of FAS, and I am sure that the missing
third case at the edge of my memory fields will reveal itself later in the day,
but can assure you that the appearance of FAS, as initially reported by
Monrad-Krohn, usually follows an expressive aphasia, either Broca's aphasia or
subcortical motor aphasia.

Usually FAS is discussed in terms of its resulting from one or another of the
dysprosodiae, and the selective effect of the melodic intonation, timing, and
emphasis upon the articulation of vowel sounds may be the key element in
explaining the change in dialect experienced by the British young man.

Ross points out  that nearly 100 years ago Hughlings Jackson pointed out that
the para-linguistic aspects of language would be found to be subserved by the
right hemisphere, and indeed over time the role of the non dominant hemisphere
in producing dysprosodiae has required consideration.  I think that it would be
fair to say that FAS represents various hyper and hypo functions of selective
elements of prosodic (and often gestural) aspects of communication as they
attempt to reintegrate with linguistic elements during the recovery process.
The FAS, itself, would represent a "secondary symptom" within Kurt Goldstein's
conceptualization of neuropsychopathology, or "the rule of the ungoverned"
within Jackson's.

If it would not be perceived as presumptuous, let me refer you to a text which
I found enormously useful and which has an excellent review of both the
dysprosodiae and FAS.  Elliot D. Ross, M.D., The Aprosodias. pp 743-753 in Todd
Feinberg, M.D. & Martha Farah, Ph.D., Behavioral Neurology and Neuropsychology.
(2nd edition)  McGraw Hill, NY, 199/2003.

Ross devotes considerable attention to detailing the various linguistic and
paralinguistic elements, which if disordered are capable of resulting in FAS.

                          My Best Regards and I hope that this information is
of use.

                                                        Andrew W. Siegal, Ph.D.
                                                        Clinical Professor of
Psychology